Kinnathappam is an authentic South Indian dessert. Kinnathappam, which can be translated to English as ‘kinnam’ which means ‘plate’ and ‘appam’ means ‘cake’. This is made in a stainless steel plate.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Egg – 1 cup
Coconut Milk – 1 cup
Chicken or Beef – ½ cup
Onion – 1
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
Red chili powder – ½ Teaspoon
Garam Masala powder – ½ Teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ Teaspoon
Black pepper powder – ¼ Teaspoon
Curry leaves –
Coconut Oil – 1 Teaspoon
- Put the rice soaked in water for four hours
- Cook chicken/Beef with Salt, Garam masala powder and black pepper powder, and make it shredded
- Grind rice adding with egg, Coconut milk and salt (Don’t be thick too much)
- Our batter is read for Kinnathappam
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add Slightly chopped Onion to this pan and stir it well
- Add Salt, Ginger Garlic paste and Curry leaves and stir it well
- Add Red chili powder, Garam masala powder Turmeric powder and black pepper powder
- Get these masala powders mixed well until rows smell has gone
- Add cooked chicken/Beef and mix it well
- Now our masala ready for Kinnathappam, Keep it aside.
Now we are going to make Kinnathappam with this batter and masala. See how to do it with step by step.
- Boil water in a steamer.
- Grease the stainless steel plate with ghee.
- Pour some batter into this stainless steel plate and spread some Chicken or Beef masala on it.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it for one minute.
- Pour some batter again on it and put some Chicken/Beef masala.
- Repeat this process until our batter and masala have been finished.
- At last, add chopped coriander leaves and chopped carrot on the top of Kinnathappam.
- Cook it for 20 minutes.
- Let cool down and slice into wedges and serve.
- Leftover Kinnathappams can be kept in the refrigerator, it tastes better when chilled
If you don’t have a steamer, don’t worry follow the below method:
Fill ¼ of a wide bottomed vessel/pan with water.
Cover the plate/pan with the batter with aluminum foil.
Place the plate into the vessel and cover it with its lid.
Steam cook in medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes.